Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A Wedding!

No, not mine, silly. I've already told the Mr that when we get divorced I'll never do this again. No sirree. A guy that I work with got married. He sits right behind me and he's just a super duper kinda guy so I'm really happy for him.

I spent several hours making a card. I just couldn't figure out how I wanted it to look but I got inspiration from the Bible. Their wedding was done in pink and gold so I used vellum and stickers and such in those colors and I put a few versus in there from Genesis and then a couple in there from Psalms. The Genesis verses were about how God said Adam shouldn't be alone, put him in a deep sleep, took the rib and made woman. Adam declared that this was bone of his bones and flesh of his flesh, man would leave his mother and father and cleave only to his wife and together be one flesh. Obviously I'm paraphrasing all this. Anyway, I have a Dakes Bible and that's a really cool thing to have. They have all the verses in the middle and then they have all these cool notes and definitions on the side and underneath. Lot's of useful info there. So, in the footnotes about the aforementioned verses they say that "Woman wasn't taken from man's head to be lorded over by him, nor from his feet to be trampled on by him but from under his arm to be protected by him, from his side to be equal to him and from near his heart to be loved by him. " I thought that was so neat. I also put a verse from Psalms in there that says something along the lines of "God saved his inheritance for his annointed and that he would feed and forever lift up his people". That was kind of my prayer for them.

The cool thing about that was the brides's mom and stepdad got up and read Bible verses during the ceremony and the stepdad read the same verses from Genesis that I had in my card. I thought to myself "Touchdown!" I just hope she liked the card.

I also made for them a set of pillows. A seamstress I am not. However, their registry at Crate and Barrel had some pillows in it that I thought were "ok" but I could do better. So I set out last week on a search for some fabric. I walked into the fabric store and absolutely fell in love with some silky looking blue fabric with some sort of leaf on it. It kind of had this Japanese feel to the design and it was just stunning. I also bought some brown textured looking fabric to go with it. I think the blue and brown look are in and the pillows they had picked out were blue so I figured it'd be OK. So Friday night was spent sewing up pillows. I think they turned out OK and I had this great idea of how to package it all up for them.

My original thought was the old standby: a cardboard box. I thought that might get a little large because those two pillows were 18x18 inches. So I had a brilliant, if I do say so myself, idea: I'd put them in one of those space bags that you suck all the air out of and then they'd be small enough to put in a much easier to manage container, like a gift bag or something, and when she'd pull that gift out she'd have NO idea what she was looking at until she opened it up, seen the pillows puff out as if by magic and to top it all off they'd get to keep the innovative and useful space bag!! Well, that's all good but the dang material kind of wrinkles up when you do that. It's so shimery and shiny and delicate. The pillow still puffs out but it just doesn't look as crisp and new as it should. So, it was off to Wal-Mart to locate an equally clever idea: a storage container. I'm all about function you know. I'm just not all about compact, easy to wrap gift ideas. So I get a blue storage container even though it was bigger than I needed. It was the color that I liked. It was a kind of light blue that I thought would go with my pillows. I also picked up 2 pkgs of hangers and some storage bowls to fill up the empty space that my pillows were sure to not fill up. And an extra roll of wrapping paper because the roll I had previously purchased wasn't gonna cover that stupid container.

I got it home, wrapped it up, used my handy dandy bow maker to make a pretty gold bow to go on it and stepped back to admire my handy work. It looked like a 3 yr old had wrapped it. Oh well, you have to sometimes deal with what you've got and live with the results. I just hoped that what was IN the gift made up for how it looked.

So, purchased, made and wrapped........... and never once considered how I'd look dressed in a skirt, nice shirt and slip on shoes walking through the cold carring this gigantic, stupid storage container. At least I didn't have to look at me.

But the wedding was beautiful. It was a Catholic ceremony. They hand out programs when you walk through the door because they want you to always know how far you are from the end of the ceremony. Reading, praying, singing, vowing, more praying and singing and reading and well wishing, etc etc. But I'm here to say that when the bride stepped around the corner in full view of the groom, HE FELL APART!! It was so heart warming. It made me cry to watch him cry. How awesome is it when the groom cries at the first sight of his bride walking down the isle?!?! That, my friends, is why women cry at weddings.

His brother was the best man and at the reception he made a speech that was also just so incredibly sweet. He said that they had grown up in a military family. So their dad was always halfway around the world someplace so the groom was his father figure. When the brother was about 12 yrs old and just starting to get interested in girls, the groom took him aside for a little talk. He said to his brother "let's make a pact. Let's agree that we will alwasy treat women like little princesses". How cool is that for one brother to say to another?!?! And I believe he has always kept that pact. He's just a really nice guy with a wonderful outlook and zest for life. He's spent the last year working hard to get ready, not just his wedding, but for his marriage. He's met with his church leaders, been to counseling for young couples, etc. I firmly believe that this man is ready to be the husband that he should be and I think she's one lucky lady. I don't know her real well but they certainly looked in love. I hope she's as good to him as I think he's going to be to her. I pray all the blessings of God on them and it looks to me like He's already raining it down on them.

1 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, Blogger gunesvara said...

Interesting blog about publish my poetry, keep up the good work publish my poetry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home